Name: Denton Mateychuk
Team: Eastman Selects (WBAAA)
Height/Weight: 5’10 155lbs
1) Introduce yourself, describe yourself as a player and person
Hello, my name is denton Mateychuk. I play hockey for the Eastman Selects bantam AAA. I am from Dominion City Manitoba and I have been playing hockey since I was 3. I play the game as a very offensive defence. I have a good defensive zone and love to jump into the rush. I am a very hard working and competitive person. I try and lead by example, family oriented, and goal oriented.
2) Who were some of the people/player you idolize to this point?
Players that I idolize are Brent Burns, Shea Weber, Josh Morrissey, and lately I have liked watching Rasmus Dahlin.
3) Staying in Winnipeg this year, how is the hockey there and who are some of the top players in your league, in your opinion?
The hockey in the Winnipeg AAA league is competitive. Some top forwards in our league are Conor Geekie and Carson Buydens. One of the top D in our league would be Spencer Penner.
4) Having an older sibling who has taken his own route in hockey, what are some of the things he passes on to you or things you take away from him?
I’ve learned from my brother that core workouts are more important than I thought. Through the experience of my brother I have realized the importance of hard workout in practice.
5) Who are some of the people around hockey that have helped you develop either on the ice or off the ice?
I have had a lot of good coaches in the passed, but I have learned a lot from Ron Bhala, Robby Glantz, Larry Woo, Riley Dudar, Tony Lenchysyn, and my current coaches Jordan Wohlgemuth, Chris MacKinnon, and Nick Platt.
6) What are some off ice things about yourself that people don’t know? (Family/Academics/Sports/Achievments)
I love fishing, my cousin Blane Pohl was on the first edition of Making The Cut, my Uncle Rene was the captain at the University of Maine Black Bears. My mother won the Manitoba half marathon.